Yerevan Press Club,
Realizing that the freedom of the press is one of the main guarantees for the freedom of speech,
Considering that media must be able to freely receive and disseminate information, viewpoints and comments thus enabling the navigation of society in the diversity of opinion,
Stating that while it is impossible to define one set of rules applicable for all specific cases, it is feasible and imperative to adhere to the principles prompted by the experience of many years,
adopts this Code.
1. FREEDOM OF THE PRESS
A Yerevan Press Club member must:
- Contribute to the establishment of freedom of speech, information and press by his/her activities
- Oppose the violation of the rights of his/her colleagues or media
- Refrain from actions that can be viewed as a restriction of the freedom of speech or an attempt at censorship.
For a Yerevan Press Club member the following are unacceptable:
- Libel, defamation, insult
- Deliberate distortion or concealment of facts
- Plagiarism, copyright infringement
- Acceptance of any kind of remuneration from parties concerned with the publication or non-publication of a piece.
2. PRINCIPLES OF PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT
The right of society to receive truthful information
- The impartial coverage of facts and events must be the main purpose.
- The authenticity of the pieces to be published must be previously verified.
- Intentionally untrue information is not to be published.
Integrity and responsibility
- To be impartial and courageous when collecting, narrating and commenting on information.
- To make a clear distinction between facts and comments in the publications.
- To proceed only from valid facts when making comments.
- To respect and protect the right to differing opinions, views.
- To disclose one's profession and media affiliation when gathering information to be published.
- Not to abuse the trust of people inexperienced in talking to journalists, and to inform them far in advance of the possible consequences the publication of the information obtained may have.
- To strictly follow the promises given to the information source.
- To refrain from the use of confidential information sources as long as possible.
- Yet, to maintain the confidentiality of the source whatever the circumstances are, if the information is provided under the condition of non-identification of the source.
Conflict of interests
- To realize that the active involvement in politics or the affiliation with a political organization casts doubt on the reputation of the independent journalist.
- To refuse privileges, monetary remuneration, gifts that are incompatible with professional independence and lead to the loss of trust.
- Not to use the information and connections acquired for personal and narrow group interests.
- To realize that the collection and publication of information of private nature may harm and pain people.
- To respect and observe the right to privacy.
- The interference with the privacy of officials, public figures, individuals striving for power and public attention may only be justified by a pressing social need. If the freedom of speech is incompatible with other fundamental human rights, the Press Club member will decide on his/her own to what the preference should be given and will be responsible for the decision taken.
Common Human Values
- Not to promote war, national, religious hatred and intolerance, political, social, gender, language discrimination, violence, pornography.
The members of Yerevan Press Club are accountable for their actions to each other, the YPC Commission on Professional Ethics and Board.